What Happens At My First Appointment?
At your first appointment, we will carry out a comprehensive dental examination and perform a series of routine checks to help spot any dental problems. Our eight point check includes:
1. Extra oral examination – we check muscles and glands in your face and neck.
2. Intra oral examination – our soft tissue check includes a visual check of your gums, inner cheeks and tongue which allows us to spot any infections and mouth conditions. We also screen for mouth cancer.
3. Base chart – we record your dental health, treatment you may have had in the past and recommend treatment you need in order for you to be dentally fit.
4. Gum disease – We check for the presence or absence of gum disease. Gum disease is the major cause of tooth loss.
5. Check jaw joints for click and crunches.
6. Occlusion – we record how your teeth meet together. This is important as if there are any problems, this may affect the treatment we would recommend.
7. Digital x-rays – we take x-rays to see inside your tooth for early signs of any dental problems, such as decay or gum disease.
8. Photographs – we may take photographs of your teeth to better understand your dental concerns.